Make this place your home...

Home.  My house.  The place I live.  Today, I cleaned it...or at least I straightened it up.  I took down the Christmas decorations and sorted them out until I had one large plastic bin with everything we need for the holidays as far as decorating.  

Like I mentioned in previous posts, this Christmas was different.  The kids got a few gifts...pj pants, a flannel shirt, and Christie and Mac got a college ornament that plays the school fight song.  Howie got a Bronco's ornament because he loves the Bronco's.  My point is...that's it.  No Santa, no putting things together after everyone goes to sleep, no pretending.  I may sound like a Grinch, as a matter of fact, I know I sound like a Grinch, but things were so much easier, and less stressful.

Christmas night, we were in a Comfort Inn in Amarillo, Texas.  We had two big beds, a nice TV and a couch.  Jim and I slept in one bed, the boys in the other and Christie was on a cot.  I don't even think we mentioned that it was Christmas...we got into our hotel beds and went to sleep.  That was Christmas day for us.  Driving, McDonald's and the Comfort Inn.

The next day, we met up with our group and planned our days of building a house for a family.   Building a house for a family.  It's a different house than the one I have, much smaller with much less stuff.  This house in Mexico, we built an 11 x 22 foot house that was split into two rooms.  It had 4 outlets, a ceiling fan with a light and a light in another room.

Today while I was cleaning my house...my home...I thought of the house...the home in Mexico.  I thought about the family and if they moved in.  Was it warm?  Did they put the rugs on the concrete floors that we poured?  Are they more comfortable and are they happier now with a reliable roof over their heads?  

Before we start the drywall, the team goes into the house and writes  on the inside of the walls...some of us write prayers, some of us write hopes and dreams for them.  Then, the drywall is hung and the house is done.  I always wonder if they feel the love and good wishes that come from the builders...

I finished dusting the living room,  vacuumed the floor and moved to the kitchen.  I cleaned the counters, emptied the dishwasher, refilled it with dirty dishes, and then mopped the floor.  The music played behind me and I thought about my house...my home and what it means to me.  

I hope Sylvia and her family have moved into their house and made it their home. 






We are lucky to have a house and even luckier when it is a home.
We'll tawk tomorrow,
I love you all,
Terry

Comments

Elizabeth said…
What a beautiful thing -- and the image of you all putting your thoughts and prayers into the walls is so profound and moving.
Mr. Shife said…
Wow. Extremely awesome that you and your family did this for another family. Your actions are very inspirational, and most definitely appreciated especially by the family with a new home. I also want to thank you for your kind words on my blog regarding my friend's passing. Thank you, and take care.

Popular Posts