Monday, August 20, 2012

I ended up with an ipod...

Last night as the Queen was regaling us with her summer stories, she asked me if I thought it made sense for her to get an iPod with more storage for music.  Instead of wondering if it made sense, I asked her what she wanted for her old one...music and all.  I heard her say,"You can have it mom" and "I have an Amazon gift card to get the other one."  When all was said and done, I had an iPod with 1000 songs for about 20 bucks.

Music soothes me...almost like when I am by the water.  I can take a part of my brain and move it over to concentrate on the music and stop the continuous thinking or in my case today, over thinking.

This morning, bright and early, we drove to Boulder.  I drove in the big truck full of stuff with the Queen and the two brothers drove in the Jeep.  We got to the dorm and started unloading the items for survival at college.  As we began, people started showing up that I knew from visiting that dorm and Boulder so much...the Queen's buddies that also know my Mac.  They hugged us all and reassured me that they were all going to watch out for each other and now, since the Queen brought her brother, he was part of the gang.  Although I know there will be difficult moments...I am thankful for a ready made group for my Mac.

We said our goodbyes and Howie and I headed to Denny's.  That was the place we went two years ago when we dropped the Queen off.  I wanted things to be the same and if I couldn't have that...I guess the "Garden slam" will do.  (I did give Howie my potatoes, though)

All of a sudden, he and I were free.  "What do you have to do today, Mom?" I heard him say.  "Nothing, I'm not working and we can do whatever we want."  It felt good, in a way, to have this kid interested in spending time with me.  "Let's get some speakers for the iPod and get some music in the kitchen," I said...and we headed to Target.

We found some cool speakers, bought some speaker wire, stopped at Safeway for soda, pop tarts and wine and headed home.  In an hour, I had Coldplay in my kitchen singing beautifully that "nobody said  it was easy, nobody said it would be this hard."  I opened my bottle of pink wine, put the baked ziti in the oven and sat with my youngest son doing homework and finishing up some charting from last week.  

It's gonna be okay...as a matter of fact, I think it's gonna be great.  This last one flew quietly under the radar.  Not anymore...  I mean, I would be lying if I didn't want to call and see how things are going but I bet they are still at band camp, and they are young adults, and it's time for me to get a life.  So I won't call, I will wonder.  

I did start to get a life though.  When I fed the dogs tonight, I put a dog bone in the bottom of their bowl and covered it with dog food...so they would have a surprise.  I mean, isn't that a start?

We'll tawk tomorrow,
I love you all,

No comments: