From Anonymous...

Terrific work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher!      Anonymous...

I read this the other day and didn't know what to think.  This comment is obviously not meant to be about how wonderful my writing abilities are...as a matter of fact, I would say that I understand that Ms/Mr Anonymous thinks just the opposite.

I spent quite a bit more time thinking about the comment than I should have.  But...the commenter does speak some truth, although it is in a passive-agressive way.  Who really does want to read about me and all of my thoughts?  Who cares about that stuff but me?

The thing about blogging is...it is a personal decision to write as it is a personal decision to read someone elses's writing.  Why bother reading a post if it does not interest you? 

Newsflash:  Everyone's writing is not gonna interest you every day.  Some days are better than others and I invite you to read on.  On the days that my writing is just not doing it for you...X out!  There are good days and bad days!!!

It's like today...I went to visit a patient of mine that is dying.  He is an amazing man and in just a short time of knowing him...I already adore him.  He is smart, real and knows what is ahead of him "life-wise".  We spent time visiting about his problems...pain, sleep, exhaustion...what ever he wanted to talk about.  We came up with ideas together  and he chose some and told me he wasn't interested on others.  Finally, I said, "What else can I do for you...what can I help you with?"

He was sitting on the couch and he turned to me and looked over his glasses.  He waited for what seemed a long time and his lip began to quiver.  Finally it stopped and he spoke with a clear voice..."Today is a good day.  I feel pretty good, I am not in pain and I can eat.  I'm still in my home and that's great.  I have good days and bad days, and I will take days like this whenever I can."

I admire that kind of thinking, that strength.  When I was young, I thought there was control over life's ups and downs.  I learned over the years that I can do the best I can and thats it.  So like my lovely patient, if today is a good day...then yee-haa...and if tommorrow is not, I'll deal with it the best I can. 

I can truly say, today was a good day, for  my patient and for myself.  So if you don't like my writing...I hope you haven't gotten this far.  This life is too short to use the good days for things that you don't think are good.

We'll tawk tommorrow,
I love you all,
Terry

Comments

Ms. Moon said…
Terry- I think that might have really been a comment that was serious. Who ever knows with anonymous comments? Some bloggers don't allow them. I do. I can always delete comments if I want to.
And I want to say that I am so glad you're with hospice again. I can't imagine anyone doing that work as gracefully and fully-hearted and lovingly as you do.
I would want you to be my hospice nurse and that's for sure.
Elizabeth said…
Wait. I'm confused. Was an anonymous commenter actually mocking you? Ugh, if so. I long ago disabled anonymous commenters -- those who can't think up a fake name but want to spew venom or passive aggressive stuff should be ignored.

I get some ugly comments every now and then, but they can't be anonymous.
Elizabeth said…
And the encounter with one of you patients was simple and beautifully, movingly told. Thank you for sharing it. I know that I have much to learn about the end of life and those who draw near to it.
I do love your writing Terry, it brings me back every day I read it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the web, it takes some courage! I'm considering starting a blog for college kids...we'll see...Thank you for your words of wisdom and lessons of life!
Love you!!!

Popular Posts