Island time

We made it to Hawaii yesterday.  It is a spectacular place and even more beautiful and funky than when I was here 22 years ago.  The water is bluer and the waves are bigger.  We came to visit Jim's two Aunts and the kids got a bonus Aunt to visit as well. 

Today, we decided we were going to the beach.  We were going to boogey board and snorkel.  Of course, we had all different time lines so we had to fight it out before we left.  You see, Jim is on "Island time" and what that means is...he eats when he is hungry, drinks when he is thirsty (whatever beverage he wants) and moves when he wants to and not a minute before.  Well, that's great and all but that means that we are also on Island time...his.

He and I have always been polar opposites when it comes to certain things.  Today, we were again.  I wanted to get going and he needed to finish his coffee, put his suit on, get lunch in the cooler and then go.  The boys and I were ready to go.  We were trying to get him to move and all of a sudden...he was mad.  We were rushing him and he is on Island time...

We got in the car and got going...finally.  Everyone was mad at each other and it was like a scene out of a movie.  The boys started hitting each other in the back seat because it was so tense, I guess, and I started to explain why he was wrong.  He told me to talk in a lower voice which only made me talk louder..and then I said the four magic words all the boys love to hear..."I'm gonna shut up."  I thought I heard them all mumble under their breath..."thank God" but they denied it.  We rode in mad silence to the little grocery store. Still mad, my oldest and I jumped out of the car and went to rent snorkel gear and my youngest and husband went in and shopped.  By the time we got together again...you would think nothing had happened and we were the all american family on vacation in Hawaii.

We drove to the beach and got settled.  The waves were crazy and the boys got in and didn't get out for hours.  I spent time in the waves, on the shore, and digging sand out of my suit and watching the boys.  The sun was warm, the sea was strong and I decided to let the power struggle of the morning go...to be on "Island time".  I decided who ever needs to be the boss of Island time can be the boss and we would all adjust.

It was a lovely day.  The waves beat us all up until we could take no more, the sun made our skin the color of fire, and the sand gave us all nice bright pink rashes in places that I won't mention.  But...it was fun and good to be together...even if we were all on different pages to start the day.  By the end of the day...we were all on Island time
and it was good!

We'll tawk tommorrow,
I love you all,
Terry

Comments

Elizabeth said…
It sounds wonderful -- even the goofy fighting! My husband always reminds me of the first vacation we took together many years ago in Antigua -- how I acted all tense and stressed about our hotel room with the receptionist who was definitely on Island Time. When I woke up the next morning, there were literally butterflies over my head and I, too, was embraced by Island time. It's still a funny memory -- I hope you have an extended one!

Popular Posts