This is the day....

When my father had his big heart attack in 2001, I remember being in the ICU waiting room reciting "This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it" over and over again.  My family and I would hear, "Code blue, room blah, blah,blah" and I would say, "That's Daddy" and it was.  He had a hard time but made it through to live another year before he finally died. 

Today was one of those..."This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it" days for me.  I don't know what made it that way but it just was.  There was about a foot of snow on the ground when the alarm went off and I though that maybe...just maybe...there would be a snow day.  In Colorado, the snow days are few and far between so I got the boys up for school.  My oldest son was exhausted and really was having trouble getting up...(remember, he is the one I lost my mother card on) and my youngest son wasn't moving either.   They made me become absurd..."OK, just go back to sleep and maybe when you get up, you can watch TV all day"...to which the youngest one  replied, " I gotta go to school".  Thank God.  The way I was feeling, they both could have just stayed home and watched TV all day for all I cared.

Anyway, I dropped off the youngest at school and went to the gym.  I am sure that I have lost any aerobic capacity I gained in the weeks before Christmas sadly.  I felt like I was going to throw up through most of the class and my heart was up in my throat.  That has to be good for you, right?

I came home and worked...sent emails and got ready for some consulting that needs to be done this week.  I sat in my office and the sun was shining.  The snow was beautiful even if you don't like snow.
 
My family had made it back from different parts of the world, even through a snow storm.  My daughter called and had made it through her first day of school for this sememster.  I was feeling very lucky and thankful.  My husband worked from home and we spent lunch time talking about his trip.  He mentioned all the good things and the bad but really was glad to be home.  "Glad to be home" he said and I felt happy.  I was glad he was home.  I have become the one who likes to be home and he has become more social...imagine that!  My son who went to California made it back too.  He told me of talking to the group about Malaria and what he is doing to help the world with it.  Cool, I said..."while you were gone, we got your report card in the mail".  With a bit of a worried look, he scanned the grades and didn't say much.  He had gotten mostly B's and an A and his father and I were proud.  He had "held up his end of the bargain" as we discussed at the start of school when giving him the keys to the car. 

The boys went to shovel for the neighbors and I had this need to go outside.   It was about 5 degrees and the sun was shining.  I started up my husband's tractor and made a pass at the driveway.  He showed up to take over.



I suspect there is nothing better for him than being home and driving his tractor...clearing the snow on a clear, sunny Colorado day!

I was shoveling the walks, watching him and thinking...I got the world by the tail today.  I read the paper and felt the pain of the greater world...guns and death, disease and sickness...people not able to know the life I have...and I am sad.  But today, I will count my blessings and be thankful for all I have...not take a moment for granted and hope tommorrow will be as today was!




So I say, nothing too spectacular...nothing earth shattering...just life.  I didn't win the lottery, didn't eat as well as I wanted, drank only half the water I should have and peed even less but...we are all here, tonight, with a warm house, food in our bellies and a family to keep us in line.  That is  more than enough for me today.

We'll tawk later,
Love,
Terry

Comments

Anonymous said…
Another Day in Paradise...

Be well !

boz
Ms. Moon said…
Terry- I have to tell you- you are already better at this blogging/writing thing than most of the people I read.
Be proud of that.
And what you've accomplished in your life. Okay?
Love...Mary

Popular Posts